OUR 2020 MANIFESTO
10 goals over 10 years
Bowel Cancer New Zealand is a nationwide, patient-focused charity dedicated to beating bowel cancer through life-saving awareness, education, advocacy, research and support. Our goal is to reduce the impact of bowel cancer on New Zealanders and communities, and ultimately, to ensure that no more lives are lost to this silent killer.
To mark our 10-year anniversary in 2020, we’ve developed 10 goals we aim to achieve within the next 10 years:
- To provide additional support for district health boards to ensure full implementation of New Zealand’s national screening programme.
- To address current inequities in bowel cancer outcomes through research and advocacy.
- To develop a clear plan to increase access to screening to include all New Zealanders aged 50 to 59 years.
- To support comprehensive, evidence-informed programmes that increase participation in the national bowel cancer screening programme.
- To ensure healthcare professionals are always informed of their patients’ screening results.
- To ensure more New Zealanders and healthcare professionals are aware of the symptoms and risks of bowel cancer, through education and advocacy.
- To improve access to drug treatments for New Zealanders with advanced bowel cancer.
- To provide nationwide, accessible support for bowel cancer patients, from diagnosis through to survivorship.
- To improve bowel cancer outcomes for Māori and Pasifika communities.
- To partner with others to support and share bowel cancer research.